What Can You Eat on Keto Diet
A keto diet is a low carbohydrate, high-fat diet that has many health benefits.
The carbohydrates are kept at a very low level of 20-50 grams per day.
This diet aims to alter the body’s main source of energy, that is, to force the body to burn up fat for energy instead of carbohydrates.
The low carbohydrate intake in the keto diet lowers the production of insulin.
Insulin is a hormone produced by the body to convert glucose into energy.
When insulin levels are low, an alternative source of energy is required.
The liver breaks down stored fats to produce ketones.
Ketones are fatty acids released from the liver and into the bloodstream to fuel the body’s metabolism and support muscle function.
What to Eat on Keto Diet
These are the foods to eat on keto diet:
- Meat- Unprocessed meat has a lower carbohydrate level and is keto-friendly. You shouldn’t take lots of meat since the excess proteins can be converted into glucose and alter our main focus. Processed meats such as sausages, meatballs, and cold cuts should be avoided since they contain added carbs. Although bacon is processed meat, it is considered ketogenic.
- Fish and seafood– These are good for the keto diet especially fatty fish such as salmon.
- Eggs- These are also very good for the keto diet. They can be eaten as boiled, scrambled, scotched or as omelets.
- Natural fat- A great percentage of calories on the keto diet ought to come from fat. Natural sources of fat in the diet are fish, eggs, and meat.Other fat such as cooking oil, coconut oil, butter, and olive oil shouldn’t be avoided.
- Vegetables- Try to choose the leafy green vegetables. They are tasty and blend well with the fat on keto.
- High-fat dairy- Dairy products with high-fat content are preferred for the keto diet. Milk is not recommended as it contains sugars that add up to carbs. Low-fat yogurts are also to be avoided.
- Nuts- From this category, you can choose macadamia or pecans. Avoid using nuts as snacks for you can eat more than needed before you get satisfied. Cashew nuts are to be avoided for they are fairly high in carbs. The intake of nuts should be limited to less than ½ cup (about 50 grams) per day.
While on a ketogenic diet, you may drink the following:
- Water- It can be taken plain or with natural flavors(lemon, cucumber, or lime) added.
- Coffee- You should take it sugarless.
- Tea- All different types (green, black, mint, or herbal) are acceptable without adding sugar.
- Bone broth- This is rich in nutrients and electrolytes.
Strive to be consistent with the keto diet for you to maximize its benefits. The keto diet focuses on reducing carbs and increasing fat. It aims to ensure that your body burns up all the unwanted fat reserves leaving you a lean and healthy body.
At the end of the day the best diet is the one YOU can follow and is sustainable for your lifestyle.
Before starting any diet, we always recommend our customers to consult with health professionals as every situation is different.
Ultimately your personal health can be affected by factors such as:
-Access to health care
-Behaviors & Lifestyle
Regardless of whether you're starting keto for the first time or a seasoned veteran, we're here to support you on your journey.
Onketo started in 2018 as a small business based right here in the heart of Sydney. With over 3000+ happy customers across the country, our goal is offer keto snacks and healthy products at competitive prices and delivered straight to your door.